If you have a website about a topic you enjoy, you can make money from discussion forums. Talk, post links to your site, get traffic. Traffic means money, right? If not, try different affiliate programs or Google Adwords.
The worst sites should get a couple cents per visitor. Now here's how to talk and make money.
Search "forum" plus the topic of your site on Google. Let's take an example. Let's say you search "backpacking + forum" and in the pages of results you find several good forums. You can also search related topics like "hiking" too, which will also be related to this niche.
Registration is usually giving your email address and choosing a password. Some forums allow guests to post without registering. Once registered, browse the forum topics, and post a response to anything, just to "learn the ropes".
Income From Discussion Forums
The point of posting in forums is to get readers to come to your web site. Sure it's fun to give advice and discuss things of interest to you, but that's secondary. With that in mind, do the following:
1. Look for forums where you will be allowed to put your website link in your forum signature. If you are not sure how to do this ask for help on the forum or from the admin they will help you wit this.
2. Always link to your site. If they don't allow any links, find another forum.
3. Don't "spam." Sales pitches will be removed. Offer honest advice, or express an opinion and do your best to offer quality content. If you are not sure about something, just google it and you will get your answer.
4. Ask for help from others. This is an effective and acceptable way to "advertise." Enter a topic like "Can I get some advice?" and post something like, "I just started a meditation site. If some of you would visit and tell me what you think, I'd really appreciate it." Have a link to the site. People love to help, and to give opinions.
4. Look at total "views." Many forums show the total times each "thread" has been viewed. When you see some with many more than others, get in on those, or start a new thread on the same topic. Go where the traffic is, and get some of it.
I didn't like the idea of forums until I made a few posts, and saw my traffic and revenue climb for days afterwards. That convinced me. Just be polite, offer some value to others, and always have a link to your site.